Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Milwaukee is Back?

As many of my friends know, I am sort of a fan of Milwaukee. I was born here, went to college here, live here, and work here. But what some people don't know is that I chose to move here from the Twin Cities of Minnesota (A beautiful metro area as well), where I went to high school and my parents still live.

Why?

Let me tell you in two words: Opportunity and Excitement

One of the most annoying things to me is when ignorant people make ignorant statements like this: "Milwaukee is shabby" or my personal favorite "Milwaukee is a dying city".
Milwaukee, a dying city?


The reason that the last statement bothers me so much is because it simply isn't true and couldn't be further from the truth. We need positive thinking to keep moving forward, not negative, ignorant comments.

Yes, Milwaukee has had a rough time in the 80's and early 90's. I will never deny that. The shifting of manufacturing plants to overseas locations devastated Milwaukee. Thousands of people lost there jobs and hundreds of buildings began decaying, but Milwaukee never gave up and here we are today.

Opportunity and Excitement?

Let me tell you a little bit about that. We have one of the world's most beautiful buildings (Milwaukee Art Museum), some of the most famous brands in the world still call Milwaukee home (Harley-Davidson, Miller Brewing, Kohl's Department Stores, Briggs and Stratton, and many others), and we have a lot of fun (Summerfest, Potawatomi, great clubs, amazing restaurants, and so much more).

I could go on and on about the reasons that Milwaukee is back, but I think I will simply begin a series of web log entries defending my position and allow people to discuss their feelings about this subject.

Is Milwaukee back? Feel free to discuss:

(If you are interested in taking part in the discussion, or simply are curious about the 50+ articles I am planning to write, feel free to subscribe to the blog. The original feed is at http://milwaukeeisback.blogspot.com/ )

2 comments:

Sheets Studios said...

Biebert is MIB!

Anonymous said...

I would agree. I too am a Milwaukee transplant but have come to love the city. It took me a while to adjust to it, but now I truly enjoy it. Summer in Milwaukee simply cannot be beat. Sure there are issues, but there's no escaping issues if you want to live in a city. I haven't been around long enough to see how much Milwaukee has changed during its history but it appears to be alive and well today to me.